So now I know what our ancestors spent so much time doing pre-technology. Instead of coming home of an evening from their nine-to-five, flicking on the lights, non-chalantly logging into facebook, throwing something frozen into the microwave and complaining how stressed they were - they were lighting candles.
The candle ritual actually takes longer than one would imagine. Not only does it fill in an hour or two, it also is a very meditative experience, and when without power a necessary one. Something ancient kicks in, and you begin to time travel. You realise that there is another kind of life than the one you are leading, and you are suddenly immersed in it. You have to use your wits, and wicks too as it happens. The candles must be very carefully placed in their holders, secured well, the wicks must be short or your candle will actually go on fire like one of them did, and I was glad I noticed because despite the warm weather I didn't feel like sleeping under the stars tonight. Then there is the dilemma of finding the batteries for the torch, which made me realise that I need to place things where I can find them and remove any superflouous items which hamper the investigations. In other word simplify everything. It could happen again any time and when it does I want to be able to shrug my shoulders and say: "Ok, time to light the candles." Then sit down and get on with it. None of this running around racing the sunset to get organised.
I was actually reminded of the days we used to spend with my father as kids in his little cottage by a lake, when it was his turn to have us for the holidays. Candles and paraffin lamps were the norm in that house. He had a wood-burning stove and two gas-lamps which burned in the kitchen. The aromas were rustic and retro. For entertainment we read books, played guitar, back-gammon, chess and cards. It wasn't boring at all. In fact it was much nicer than the kind of life-style that everyone seems to have these days, including myself.
It is one of the reasons why I didn't panic when the lights suddenly went off. Early training. Clothes were washed by hand and then wrung through a roller, we had no time to wonder what we should be doing. there were plenty of tasks. Chopping wood for the fire, gathering kindle, and he grew vegetables too. I am glad he didn't have animals because I don't think I would have enjoyed that side of things much.
At the end of the month or six weeks or whatever it was that time, we would bundle into his car and be driven back to civilization. Back to the push button lifestyle that we had to re-adjust to, and in my case regrettably.
So you see, I am glad there was a power cut this evening which prompted these memories and more.
I may even periodically have a 'no power' night from time to time, just to unwind, and remind myself that there is so much more to life than we take for granted. Though I have to admit that I do like my creature comforts - my stereo, my computer, washing machine and light switches, water-heater and other sundries.
But I know that if I had to live without them, I could, and quite happily.
The candle ritual actually takes longer than one would imagine. Not only does it fill in an hour or two, it also is a very meditative experience, and when without power a necessary one. Something ancient kicks in, and you begin to time travel. You realise that there is another kind of life than the one you are leading, and you are suddenly immersed in it. You have to use your wits, and wicks too as it happens. The candles must be very carefully placed in their holders, secured well, the wicks must be short or your candle will actually go on fire like one of them did, and I was glad I noticed because despite the warm weather I didn't feel like sleeping under the stars tonight. Then there is the dilemma of finding the batteries for the torch, which made me realise that I need to place things where I can find them and remove any superflouous items which hamper the investigations. In other word simplify everything. It could happen again any time and when it does I want to be able to shrug my shoulders and say: "Ok, time to light the candles." Then sit down and get on with it. None of this running around racing the sunset to get organised.
I was actually reminded of the days we used to spend with my father as kids in his little cottage by a lake, when it was his turn to have us for the holidays. Candles and paraffin lamps were the norm in that house. He had a wood-burning stove and two gas-lamps which burned in the kitchen. The aromas were rustic and retro. For entertainment we read books, played guitar, back-gammon, chess and cards. It wasn't boring at all. In fact it was much nicer than the kind of life-style that everyone seems to have these days, including myself.
It is one of the reasons why I didn't panic when the lights suddenly went off. Early training. Clothes were washed by hand and then wrung through a roller, we had no time to wonder what we should be doing. there were plenty of tasks. Chopping wood for the fire, gathering kindle, and he grew vegetables too. I am glad he didn't have animals because I don't think I would have enjoyed that side of things much.
At the end of the month or six weeks or whatever it was that time, we would bundle into his car and be driven back to civilization. Back to the push button lifestyle that we had to re-adjust to, and in my case regrettably.
So you see, I am glad there was a power cut this evening which prompted these memories and more.
I may even periodically have a 'no power' night from time to time, just to unwind, and remind myself that there is so much more to life than we take for granted. Though I have to admit that I do like my creature comforts - my stereo, my computer, washing machine and light switches, water-heater and other sundries.
But I know that if I had to live without them, I could, and quite happily.
going without power means going back to basics. I remember that well from last fall, when a late October snowstorm downed power lines all over Massachusetts and Connecticut. We were without power for a week. The hardest was dealing with the cold and dark (long nights) and no heat or hot water. And we had plenty of candles, flashlights and a battery operated radio. The radio was our lifeline to the world.
ReplyDeleteI remember your write up, Katley. You are right about the cold and the dark, but it is attitude of mind at the end of the day. I appreciate the read and comment :)
DeleteFiona, I love nights like these... they seem so magical to me because, like you, they remind me of the past when things weren't so hectic and it was easier to settle into the one on one family things that mean so much. When we actually sit down with one another and take time to look into each others eyes to play games and to think through thoughts rather then stare at screens. I think your idea of a candle night is a great ritual idea... one I might take up myself~ :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by Tracie! Those kind of nights are all too rare. :)
Delete